Monday, January 18, 2010

Reflection on Professor Kather's Lecture

I found Professor Kather's lecture to be very enlightening. I often have trouble understanding a story when it is written in poetic form or some other type of uncommon format. It seemed like every time a character was speaking or trying to make a point they could generally have their ideas summed up in one sentence. Instead of Job just saying "I am innocent" he goes on and on for several pages using examples to state his innocence. I enjoyed Professor Kather's lecture and the introduction by Stephen Mitchell much more than the actual story because they went more in depth and explored the characters better. They did not ramble on about the same basic idea, but explained the meanings or backgrounds of the events and the characters. Both gave me a better understanding and appreciation for the story which I found originally to be a little confusing.

Even though the lecture was mainly about the illustrations for the story, the most interesting part of the lecture for me was about William Blake. I really enjoy history and I was fascinated about the life of William Blake and his interpretation of The Book of Job. I was surprised to learn that his work was not widely appreciated during his life and many considered him to be very eccentric. He supposedly had visions that he would then draw or write. I think William Blake is an interesting and important person in history because of his contributions to The Book of Job as well as other contributions in different areas of art and writing.


Photograph taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Behemoth.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I definitely know where you are coming from. I learned more from Prof. Kather's short lecture than I learned in the entire 90-somewhat odd pages that we read in the book.
    She opened my eyes to a lot of things that I had never realized about the story.

    ReplyDelete